Notes from New York

Sunday, April 01, 2007

St Paddy's weekend - or Patty's if you're American...

So the weekend of St Patrick's I was determind not to go out and get drunk... and the absolutely freezing weather was as much as a discouragement as you could ask for. On the Saturday I ventured out in a snow blizzard to pick up a library book, and as usual ended up on a ridiculous adventure.
I had a rather slippery walk around midtown which was freezing, so I escaped into Grand Central.
There is an indoor garden in the Ford Foundation building at first and 43rd that I'd wanted to check out for ages, so I used this as another excuse to get out of the increasing snow storm. It was totally worth it; a tiny, self contained rainforest set in the middle of offices, huge tower blocks and snow drifts.








I loved this place... just one of the many random spaces in New York that you'd never know about unless you stumbled across them. Outside, the snow was beginning to take hold.


The sad shrubs in the middle of this staircase are considered a park... only in New York - notice how there's no escape from the Bible in this town?

The UN building - just a 15 minute walk from where I live- and Queens in the distance.

Crazy office garden from the outside.

And so to St Patricks, when of course, after very much asserting that I wouldn't get drunk, I was taken out by my girl Kassie and managed to get completely and utterly not drunk. While listening to live "Irish" music, which somehow included the Fray. It was a kick ass evening.

We made some "friends"...


The end to any good night out is a stop off at the all time greatest dinner in the Gramercy/Kip's Bay region - Lyric! Though we may never be able to go back...


I was somewhat distracted while ordering and ending up with my body weight in food. Luckily, dancing makes a girl hungry, and reader, I ate it. All. Including the black and white milkshake, ordered as ever in Roshni's honour. All in all, a smashing weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home