Notes from New York

Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year in New York

Ah, NYE in NYC. I had imagined a pleasant evening for myself watching the fireworks from Brooklyn Bridge or even Central Park. But no, somehow I found myself - considerably the worse for wear - dragged through the thronging masses somewhere outside Times Square. At approximately 11:50 I had a fit of claustrophobia and attempted to shove my way back out of the crowds, and was stuck somewhere by a subway station at midnight. I did get myself back, as I always do in my drunken homing pigeon fashion. I suppose it's not all that suprising given than New Year's Eve marks the forth anniversary of my first drinking disaster at the tender age of 17, when I made friends with a bottle of tequilla and my boyfriend's toilet. Though I've managed at least a reasonable level of sobriety on following December 31sts, I was about due for another embarassing event, maybe to remind me of the evils of alcohol. On which note perhaps a few new year's resolutions are in order. I'm going to make an effort to give my liver an easier year... Boat Club certainly gave it a beating last winter. Lots more travelling too, I'll be on the West Coast in a week, and maybe Alaska in 5 months. I'm also going to try and improve my levels of correspondence - I have so many fantastic friends all over the world (and notably very few here just now) and I've been rubbish at keeping in touch with them all, so expect a phone call - or at least an email, I'm allergic to phones - very soon. Perhaps a protracted effort to stay single might not be a bad idea given how much I'm going to be moving about, and my less than spectacular track record. Other than that? The usual, get off my arse more, eat better, read more - and definitely get to grips with the city a bit better. Anyway, here's hoping everyone had a good new year's (or at least better than mine) and that this year will be at the very least as interesting as the last one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home